THE ASHES 2015

Post Reply
honestbroker1
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by honestbroker1 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:19 am

Chinagirl wrote:A pretty good assessment, IMO.

Mediocrity – on both sides – making for a wildly unpredictable Ashes series

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2 ... MP=ema_632
I disagree with that assessment.

I distinctly remember when I first started watching cricket back in the 70s, the one-day version of the game was starting to make its impact felt, and grave foreboding was expressed back then of its likely impact on the longer version.

Back then, if you saw 280 runs scored in a day's test cricket, that was a run-feast; 240-250 runs probably more typical.

Now, 400 runs (in a day's play) is closer to the norm.

The game is played at a faster pace and it's over more quickly.

More than that, to play adventurous shots entails greater risk, and the more risk you take, the more likely you are to come unstuck.

That is precisely what we see in the modern era; the game played at break-neck speed, batsmen giving away wickets cheaply and matches over (comparatively) in a trice.

Geoff Boycott predicted that, soon, we will have 4-day tests.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he is right ....

ETA: The other big difference is that, these days, international cricketers don't play domestic cricket (much).

Back in the 70s, test cricketers would play county cricket (or, in Australia, Sheffield-Shield cricket) in between their test commitments. It was, perhaps, a greater strain on the players, but at least they were playing regularly, which is key to maintaining form.

These days, players contracted to play for the national team just don't take part in the domestic game, and curtailment of playing time (I think!) results in a lowering of standards ....

User avatar
Carana
Posts: 19702
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:42 pm

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by Carana » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:26 am

Thanks HB and CG. :kiss-s:

I'm taking this slowly. Frankly, I think I could learn basic Mandarin in less time. :red:

HB:
If a bowler can hit any of the 3 vertical sticks of wood, known as stumps, behind the bowler's legs, that is out bowled.

Did you mean behind the batsman's legs?
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

honestbroker1
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by honestbroker1 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:29 am

Carana wrote:Thanks HB and CG. :kiss-s:

I'm taking this slowly. Frankly, I think I could learn basic Mandarin in less time. :red:

HB:
If a bowler can hit any of the 3 vertical sticks of wood, known as stumps, behind the bowler's legs, that is out bowled.

Did you mean behind the batsman's legs?
Batsman's legs, sorry, yes.

User avatar
Carana
Posts: 19702
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:42 pm

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by Carana » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:32 am

I found this... Yeah...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_ ... arclays3-8

and a link took me to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fielding_%28cricket%29

And then a brainwave led me to this:


Summary of an hour's sleuthing:

Wicket
1. a set of stumps and bails;
2. the pitch; or
3. the dismissal of a batsman.[1]
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

User avatar
Carana
Posts: 19702
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:42 pm

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by Carana » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:33 am

honestbroker1 wrote:
Carana wrote:Thanks HB and CG. :kiss-s:

I'm taking this slowly. Frankly, I think I could learn basic Mandarin in less time. :red:

HB:
If a bowler can hit any of the 3 vertical sticks of wood, known as stumps, behind the bowler's legs, that is out bowled.

Did you mean behind the batsman's legs?
Batsman's legs, sorry, yes.
Aha! I'm getting there... at a snail's pace. LOL
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

Chinagirl
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by Chinagirl » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:02 am

Fourth test, Trent Bridge should be underway in about two hours. Can Australia level the series???? :pop:
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.
It's because someone took her.

honestbroker1
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by honestbroker1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:19 am

Chinagirl wrote:Fourth test, Trent Bridge should be underway in about two hours. Can Australia level the series???? :pop:
Might make for an interesting finale to the series if they can ....

Chinagirl
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by Chinagirl » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:36 am

England have won the toss and have chosen to BOWL!
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.
It's because someone took her.

Chinagirl
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by Chinagirl » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:45 am

Flipping raining!
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.
It's because someone took her.

Chinagirl
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by Chinagirl » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:07 am

First wicket !!! :s_omg
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.
It's because someone took her.

Chinagirl
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by Chinagirl » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:12 am

I can't watch .... I can't watch ..... Blofeld commentating - he's as astonished as I am ...!

Two wickets in the first over .. :s_omg :s_omg :s_omg :s_omg :s_omg :s_omg :s_omg
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.
It's because someone took her.

honestbroker1
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by honestbroker1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:15 am

10-3 now ....

And Clarke has just edged one past his stumps for 4 ....

Australia 15-4 ....

Chinagirl
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by Chinagirl » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:24 am

HB - I'm speechless. I have NEVER watched a match like this ....
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.
It's because someone took her.

honestbroker1
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by honestbroker1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:27 am

Seems as if it's a seamer's wicket.

Australia 15-5.

Brilliant catch Ben Stokes.

21-5, sorry.
Last edited by honestbroker1 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chinagirl
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by Chinagirl » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:30 am

5 wickwts down

Match will be over before the end of the day .....
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.
It's because someone took her.

Chinagirl
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by Chinagirl » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:33 am

HB - are you listening to the man who does the stats? :s_omg
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.
It's because someone took her.

Chinagirl
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by Chinagirl » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:34 am

Where's Truthi? Hope she's watching this.
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.
It's because someone took her.

Chinagirl
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by Chinagirl » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:41 am

6 wickets .... Poor, poor Clark ....
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.
It's because someone took her.

honestbroker1
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by honestbroker1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:54 am

Chinagirl wrote:HB - are you listening to the man who does the stats? :s_omg
On the radio you mean?

Finn's first wicket ...

Australia 33-7

Chinagirl
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by Chinagirl » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:55 am

Yes - on the radio.
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.
It's because someone took her.

honestbroker1
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by honestbroker1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:02 pm

Chinagirl wrote:Yes - on the radio.
yes ....

Chinagirl
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by Chinagirl » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:07 pm

At least they've passed their lowest ever score ... 36 in 1902 (against England)
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.
It's because someone took her.

Chinagirl
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by Chinagirl » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:12 pm

8/46 Broad has 6 wickets
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.
It's because someone took her.

Chinagirl
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by Chinagirl » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:15 pm

Broad now has SEVEN wickets!

This is an absolute nightmare - amazing dream for England!
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.
It's because someone took her.

Chinagirl
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

Re: THE ASHES 2015

Post by Chinagirl » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:18 pm

England will be in before lunch ON THE FIRST DAY!!!!
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.
It's because someone took her.

Post Reply