French hostage beheaded

Old Threads
Carana

French hostage beheaded

Post by Carana » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:06 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29365318

A seemingly well-liked mountain guide / photographer from the south of France on holiday in Algeria... :s_cry
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

Truthiness2

Re: French hostage beheaded

Post by Truthiness2 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:12 pm

Carana wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29365318

A seemingly well-liked mountain guide / photographer from the south of France on holiday in Algeria... :s_cry
I know :s_cry

In ALGERIA, on HOLIDAY fgs :Bang_head :Bang_head
“‎"Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.”
― John Wooden

honestbroker1

Post by honestbroker1 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:25 pm

Depressing and desperate beyond words, for the distraught and berieved relatives, for decent Muslims (the overwhelming majority), for humankind and for plain decency ...

Carana

Post by Carana » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:35 pm

Truthiness2 wrote:
Carana wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29365318

I know :s_cry

In ALGERIA, on HOLIDAY fgs :Bang_head :Bang_head
And from what I can gather several cities are organising vigils over the weekend, but there also seems to be some French (largely) right-wing political recuperation of it going on.

I hope that they will be peaceful moments for everyone to gather, whatever their religion or ethnicity, without fear.
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

Carana

Post by Carana » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:56 pm

Part of the political undertone seems to be about a so-far mysterious poll stating that 16% of the French supported IS, which apparently originated via "Russia Today" *cough*.

Can't get this to google translate as a full page to post: http://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/societ ... 70610.html

ETA: It seems to have been splashed all over obscure "media". I expect a splash in the Daily Wail any time soon.

honestbroker1

Post by honestbroker1 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:09 pm

Carana wrote:Part of the political undertone seems to be about a so-far mysterious poll stating that 16% of the French supported IS, which apparently originated via "Russia Today" *cough*.

Can't get this to google translate as a full page to post: http://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/societ ... 70610.html

ETA: It seems to have been splashed all over obscure "media". I expect a splash in the Daily Wail any time soon.
There is strong anti-Muslim bias in France, I think ...

Cath

Post by Cath » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:25 pm

honestbroker wrote:
Carana wrote:Part of the political undertone seems to be about a so-far mysterious poll stating that 16% of the French supported IS, which apparently originated via "Russia Today" *cough*.

The problem is that if this continues decent, normal, moderate people will be tempted to get infected with the anti-Muslim bias.
And I'm afraid that as a result decent, normal, Muslims will get more vulnerable for the extremists amongst them.

I'm afraid it will end in a lot of blood and tears on both sides.
In a lengthy ruling on Tuesday [28-04-2015], Amaral was found guilty of libelling the pair and ordered to pay them €250,000 each in damages. The judge also banned further sale of his book, the Truth of the Lie.

Carana

Post by Carana » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:46 pm

Cath wrote:
honestbroker wrote:

The problem is that if this continues decent, normal, moderate people will be tempted to get infected with the anti-Muslim bias.
And I'm afraid that as a result decent, normal, Muslims will get more vulnerable for the extremists amongst them.

I'm afraid it will end in a lot of blood and tears on both sides.
Yes, that's my fear as well.

Carana

Post by Carana » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:54 pm

Trying to get to the bottom of this 16% issue... This summary doesn't seem to shed much light.

An ICM poll on behalf of the Russian news agency Rossiya Segodnya tested the awareness of the group ISIS (previously known as the Islamic State of Iraq and Levant), in three European nations; Great Britain, France and Germany. The poll revealed that overall 2% and 7% say they are very favourable and somewhat favourable towards ISIS but a greater 26% and 43% are somewhat unfavourable and very unfavourable towards ISIS.

ICM interviewed 3,007 respondents in three countries; GB (1,000), France (1,006) and Germany (1,001) by telephone between 11th-21st July 2014. Surveys were conducted across each country and the results have been weighted to the profile of each nation. ICM is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.

GB – respondents were selected by random digit dialling (85% landline, 15% mobile) and interviews were conducted by a live interviewer. Responses were weighted to age, gender, region, social class, tenure, employment and cars in household.

France – respondents were selected by random digit dialling (80% landline, 20% mobile) and interviews were conducted by a live interviewer. Responses were weighted to age, gender, profession of head of household and Agglomeration category.

Germany – respondents were selected by random digit dialing (100% landline) and interviews were conducted by an automated voice service (IVR). Responses were weighted to age, gender and region.

http://www.icmresearch.com/media-centre ... a-segodnya

Why did "Russia Today" commission a poll of views about ISIS in three countries in the first place? Answers on a postage stam p .

This summary can't represent the whole picture... see the Express.fr article above.

Carana

Post by Carana » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:09 pm

Why did the interviewers in the three countries gather information based on different profile criteria?

Was some of this outsourced? If so, how random is random when cold-calling?

Truthiness2

Post by Truthiness2 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:29 pm

“‎"Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.”
― John Wooden

catkins

Post by catkins » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:32 pm

:s_cry Horrific to lose a child.....but in such a barbaric way...

I think I like that about the french....they do make their feelings known....
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p

Truthiness2

Post by Truthiness2 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:34 pm

catkins wrote::s_cry Horrific to lose a child.....but in such a barbaric way...

I'm not sure the police here would allow a similar march. :s_sad
― John Wooden

Truthiness2

Post by Truthiness2 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:37 pm

Other services took place in Bordeaux, Nantes and Montpellier, with France in its second of three days of mourning
We did nothing as a country for ours. :s_sad
― John Wooden

catkins

Post by catkins » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:41 pm

Truthiness2 wrote:
catkins wrote::s_cry Horrific to lose a child.....but in such a barbaric way...

I'm not sure the police here would allow a similar march. :s_sad

Not sure whether the french notify anyone of their intentions or not.....but you're right, over here it would stopped, or over the top "controlled" instead of being a stand together protest. :s_mad
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p