Eyjafjallajokull

Old Threads
Hael

Eyjafjallajokull

Post by Hael » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:01 pm

Another Eyjafjallajokull? Airlines on alert as Iceland's largest volcano threatens to erupt and create chaos for air travellers

Intense earthquake swarm detected under the Bardarbunga volcano
Icelandic Meteorological Office raised aviation alert to second-highest level
Eyjafjallajokull volcano erupted in 2010, causing massive disruptions

By CHRIS KITCHING FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 12:26, 19 August 2014 | UPDATED: 14:10, 19 August 2014

An intense earthquake swarm below the surface of a volcano in Iceland is raising fears that it could erupt and wreak havoc on air travel in Europe.
In its latest advisory, the Icelandic Meteorological Office bumped its aviation alert level to orange – the second highest level on its five-colour scale – and acknowledged that the risk of an eruption has increased.
Seismic activity is still occurring at the Bardarbunga volcano, although there are no signs of magma moving to the surface as of today.

The Icelandic Meteorological Office raised its alert level after a major earthquake was detected yesterday. With a magnitude of 4.5, it was the strongest earthquake measured in the region since 1996.
The agency said: ‘Presently there are no signs of eruption, but it cannot be excluded that the current activity will result in an explosive subglacial eruption, leading to an outburst flood and ash emission.’
Seismologists have been monitoring two earthquake swarms since they were first detected within Iceland’s largest volcanic system Saturday.

Bardarbunga, located under the Vatnajokull glacier at nearly 6,600 feet above sea level, last erupted in 1910.
Scientists said there are presently two scenarios.
One is an explosion outside the glacier, leading to minor ash emissions and troubles locally. The second is an eruption occurring inside the glacier.
Seismologist Martin Hensch said the latter could lead to ash being sent high into the atmosphere. Such a scenario would threaten to disrupt air travel.

Airlines and Eurocontrol, the agency responsible for co-ordinating flights in European airspace, are keeping a close eye on the situation and hoping to avoid a repeat of 2010.
That’s when Iceland’s Eyjafjallajokull volcano, located in a different range, erupted with a massive ash cloud that shut down much of Europe’s airspace, causing massive disruptions for millions of travellers.
More than 100,000 flights were cancelled over six days, costing an estimated £1.2 billion, Bloomberg Businessweek reported.
Iceland’s highest aviation alert level is red. It is activated when an eruption is imminent or in progress and a cloud of ash is likely.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trave ... z3AqWIBujP
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

........................................................................................................................................

.........................................................................................................................................

Iceland volcano eruption risk level raised to orange for aviation

Intense seismic activity at the Bardarbunga volcano indicates the potential for a disruptive ash event similar to 2010

Reuters
The Guardian, Monday 18 August 2014 16.53 BST

Eyjafjallajokull volcano erupting in Iceland

The Eyjafjallajokull volcano eruption in Iceland in 2010, which caused disruption to Europe's aviation for six days. Photograph: Paul Souders/Corbis
Iceland's meteorological office has raised its risk level to the aviation industry for an eruption at its Bardarbunga volcano to orange, which is the fourth level on a five-grade scale.

Ash from the eruption of Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano in 2010 shut down much of Europe's airspace for six days, affecting more than 10 million people and costing $1.7 billion.

There has been intense seismic activity at Bardarbunga since August 16, although there are no signs of eruption yet.

Iceland met office seismologist Martin Hensch said the risk of any disruptive ash cloud similar to the one in 2010 would depend on how high any ash would be thrown, how much there would be and how fine-grained it would be.

Bardarbunga is Iceland's largest volcanic system, located under the ice cap of the Vatnajokull glacier in the southeast of Iceland. It is in a different range to Eyjafjallajokull.

The met office said in a statement it measured the strongest earthquake in the region since 1996 early on Monday and it now had strong indications of ongoing magma movement.

"As evidence of magma movement shallower than 10km implies increased potential of a volcanic eruption, the Bardarbunga aviation colour code has been changed to orange," it said.

"Presently there are no signs of eruption, but it cannot be excluded that the current activity will result in an explosive subglacial eruption, leading to an outburst flood and ash emission."

The colour codes, which are in accordance with recommended International Civil Aviation Organisation procedures, are intended to inform the aviation sector about a volcano's status.

Hensch said the biggest risk in Iceland itself was from flood waves from any eruption under the glacier. He said the area of Iceland mainly at risk of flooding was mostly uninhabited but that roads in the area had been closed.

Eurocontrol, the Brussels-based agency responsible for co-ordinating European airspace, said in a statement it was aware the Icelandic Met Office had revised the status of the volcano and it was following the situation closely.

• This article was amended on 19 August 2014. An earlier version referred to the Vatnajokull glacier in the southwest, rather than southeast, of Iceland.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/a ... -to-orange
The trolls funding a shamed coppers right to lie about Kate and Gerry McCann are a new level of weirdo.[omitted] they may have destroyed all hope for good.Talking up conspiracy theories is one thing.Wrecking the search for an abducted child is another.-The Sun

Truthiness2

Re: Eyjafjallajokull

Post by Truthiness2 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:23 pm

I thought you had sneezed whilst typing when I saw the title. :s_biggrin

Great...hubby's away and to fly home at the end of the week
“‎"Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.”
― John Wooden

Hael

Post by Hael » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:16 pm

Truthiness2 wrote:I thought you had sneezed whilst typing when I saw the title. :s_biggrin

Great...hubby's away and to fly home at the end of the week

I hope it doesn't disrupt his travel plans.
The trolls funding a shamed coppers right to lie about Kate and Gerry McCann are a new level of weirdo.[omitted] they may have destroyed all hope for good.Talking up conspiracy theories is one thing.Wrecking the search for an abducted child is another.-The Sun

Mobyra

Post by Mobyra » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:19 pm

Hmm....I'm supposed to go visit my sis on the 27th & then fly back again on the 3rd - looking a bit grim now. :s_no

Hael

Post by Hael » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:28 pm

Mobyra wrote:Hmm....I'm supposed to go visit my sis on the 27th & then fly back again on the 3rd - looking a bit grim now. :s_no
:s_sad :s_sad Here's hoping it wont erupt until everyone has traveled and returned home safely.

Mobyra

Post by Mobyra » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Hael wrote:
Mobyra wrote:Hmm....I'm supposed to go visit my sis on the 27th & then fly back again on the 3rd - looking a bit grim now. :s_no
:s_sad :s_sad Here's hoping it wont erupt until everyone has traveled and returned home safely.
Yep, must admit I'd rather get stuck here than there, I don't have the clothes for a long term September holiday in that country anymore, I'd freeze to death. :s_smile

catkins

Post by catkins » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:36 pm

Mobyra wrote:
Hael wrote:
Yep, must admit I'd rather get stuck here than there, I don't have the clothes for a long term September holiday in that country anymore, I'd freeze to death. :s_smile
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p

Hael

Post by Hael » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:14 pm

Iceland Raises Volcano Warning To Red
4:11pm UK, Saturday 23 August 2014

A surge in seismic activity has caused Iceland to raise the aviation alert for its Bardarbunga volcano from orange to red.

Code red indicates that imminent eruptions could disperse clouds of ash and dust into the flight paths of jet aircraft threatening safe air travel.

Thousands of mini earthquakes rattled the volcano deep beneath the Vatnajokull glacier over the past week, causing authorities to evacuate several hundred people from an area north of the glacier.

An eruption in 2010 of the Eyjafjallajokul volcano produced an ash cloud that caused a week of international aviation chaos, with more than 100,000 flights cancelled.

Aviation regulators since have reformed policies about flying through ash, so a new eruption would be unlikely to cause that much disruption.

More follows...

http://news.sky.com/story/1323602/icela ... ing-to-red

catkins

Post by catkins » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:03 pm

Eurotunnel has already to raised prices a little....surely to go up more like last time...Greedy Bstrds.
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p

Carana

Post by Carana » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:42 pm

catkins wrote:Eurotunnel has already to raised prices a little....surely to go up more like last time...Greedy Bstrds.
So do hotels and any method of transport if you get stuck.
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

Carana

Post by Carana » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:47 pm

A more conservative view of potential chaos:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/blog ... ight-chaos
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin