For anyone who's interested ....

honestbroker1

For anyone who's interested ....

Post by honestbroker1 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:18 pm

Find Madeleine as a private business rather than a charity:

This was quoted over on UK Justice:
A Freedom of Information (FOI) request to the Charity Commission revealed several emails, telephone calls and a telephone conference between BWB and the Charity Commission about the possibility of charity status, for the then unincorporated company, between Monday afternoon May 14 and Tuesday May 15.

BWB emailed Alice Holt, Head of Legal Services (Status and Advice) at 9.39 pm on Monday evening with draft documents for the company as a charity. The email stated there was to be a press launch of the Foundation on Wednesday May 16 and that they awaited instructions on how the founders proposed to operate.

The minutes of the telephone conference held between BWB and the Charity Commission on the morning of Tuesday May 15 record that Alice Holt would look at revising the draft document to a form more acceptable to the Commission. The minutes also record that Commission official Kenneth Dibble was concerned that the press conference set for the next day might send out confused messages to the public unless it was settled what the fund could and could not be used for.

At 1.10 pm on May 15 the Charity Commission received an email from BWB saying their clients were likely to go the ordinary company route rather than pursue charity status. When that email was received Ms Holt was just finalising her promised revisions to the documents submitted to her the previous day. She sent her revised document anyway at 1.28 pm. To meet the Fund launch date of May 16, the McCanns had obviously decided to abandon the apparently hopeful charity negotiations in order to meet the deadline for same day company incorporation. Documents must be filed by 3pm for the company to be incorporated on that day.
It is from an analysis carried out by an Irish woman who posted on the Haverns board and whose name escapes me.

The fact is that the McCanns' hands were tied in going down the 'company' route by the rules of the Charity Commission, which will not allow any concern which has a remit of just one person to be set up as a charity.

So the McCanns had two choices, dictated by Charity Commission rules: (if indeed they wanted Find Madeleine to be a charity): extend the remit to more than just one person (Madeleine); OR keep the remit to just one person and set up as a private business.

The McCanns chose the latter option.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... cc4#part-4
The ‘public aspect’
The ‘public aspect’ of public benefit is about who the purpose benefits.

Legal requirement: to satisfy the ‘public aspect’ of public benefit the purpose must:

benefit the public in general, or a sufficient section of the public
not give rise to more than incidental personal benefit

Carana

Re: For anyone who's interested ....

Post by Carana » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:41 pm

Thanks, HB.

Saved hunting for the link again.

Groundhog Day.
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

honestbroker1

Post by honestbroker1 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:41 am

Enid O'Dowd (forensic accountant) extraordinair

scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:02 pm

I really do not get why some people cannot understand why it cannot be a charity.

A charity under the law in england and wales cannot be for one person or specific group of individuals like a family. The most specific it can be is to be for people with a specific condition i.e cancer, set of circumstances i.e domestic violence victim etc. So a fund set up to help one missing child, or one specific child with cancer can never be a charity in the UK. Therefore the best you can do with huge amounts of money like in this case is to make it a business. This ensures it is actually regulated financially.

catkins

Post by catkins » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:33 pm

scoobydoo wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:02 pm
I really do not get why some people cannot understand why it cannot be a charity.

A charity under the law in england and wales cannot be for one person or specific group of individuals like a family. The most specific it can be is to be for people with a specific condition i.e cancer, set of circumstances i.e domestic violence victim etc. So a fund set up to help one missing child, or one specific child with cancer can never be a charity in the UK. Therefore the best you can do with huge amounts of money like in this case is to make it a business. This ensures it is actually regulated financially.
This has been explained to the morons many times......they just refuse to accept it as it would be one less thing to beat the McCann family with.

Let's face it they have nothing....apart from wittering on about the dogs and refuse to take notice of Grime himself who says that without corroboration the 'alerts' are meaningless. :rolleyes: Pointless trolls.
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p

honestbroker1

Post by honestbroker1 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:20 pm

catkins wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:33 pm
scoobydoo wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:02 pm

This has been explained to the morons many times......they just refuse to accept it as it would be one less thing to beat the McCann family with.

Let's face it they have nothing....apart from wittering on about the dogs and refuse to take notice of Grime himself who says that without corroboration the 'alerts' are meaningless. :rolleyes: Pointless trolls.
While there are many excellent reasons to take no notice of Grime (or perhaps, more accurately, take notice of plain wrong and down right dishonest things he says) that is one thing Grime said, also right, that should be taken notice of.

Even there, the (I gather now late) blogger Steel Magnolia alleged in one of his blogs that Grime had to be leaned on by a British official (unnamed, but almost certainly Harrison, if true) to write in his reports that no evidential reliability could/should be placed on uncorroborated cadaver-dog alerts.

Beyond doubt Grime issued no such caveat at Haut de la Garenne and I think what Steel Magnolia said is highly likely to be true.