Grenfell effigy

Carana

Grenfell effigy

Post by Carana » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:14 pm

I've rarely seen anything so disgraceful. :s_mad :s_cry :s_mad

From the UK, anyway.

Warning - distressing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 18661.html
Last edited by Carana on Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

Carana

Re: Grenfell effigy

Post by Carana » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:25 pm

"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

Alibongo

Post by Alibongo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:47 am

Another person arrested bringing the total to six now.
It's sickened many Carana but sadly I doubt they'll be prosecuted :s_no
From comments I've read many don't see it as an offence but highly distasteful :s_sad
Parent-blaming is all-too-common these days, and usually the point is to make other parents feel better about their own parenting skills

Carana

Post by Carana » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:33 pm

It seems they've all been released.

https://news.sky.com/story/grenfell-bon ... y-11546676

I'm not sure where the law stands on this sort of incident. They may get away with it on the grounds that they did it on private premises, but whoever uploaded the video clip took it out of the private arena.

Now, it's "brown" people. Eighty or so years ago, it would have been against Jews. And people wonder why many fear a new rise of populism and white supremacy.

honestbroker1

Post by honestbroker1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:39 pm

There is a lot of wider debate on this one about deployment of police resources.

Roughly, the argument goes: why are the police wasting resources on investigating 'offences' against public decency, when the nation is gripped by a wave of knife-crime; and why can't the police use powers of 'stop and search' as a strategy against knife-crime?

Not sure I'm fully sympathetic to the argument. Still thinking about it.

Carana

Post by Carana » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:10 pm

honestbroker1 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:39 pm
There is a lot of wider debate on this one about deployment of police resources.

Roughly, the argument goes: why are the police wasting resources on investigating 'offences' against public decency, when the nation is gripped by a wave of knife-crime; and why can't the police use powers of 'stop and search' as a strategy against knife-crime?

What if someone thought that that video was considered acceptable behaviour and, with a feeling of empowerment, decided to actually knife someone, or set fire to a dwelling because of the colour of their skin or any other characteristic?

What if someone of colour, or gay, or any other characteristic that some may object to, lashed out in perceived self-defence as a result of the kind of paranoia that this sort of incident can generate?

honestbroker1

Post by honestbroker1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:24 pm

Carana wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:10 pm
honestbroker1 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:39 pm

What if someone thought that that video was considered acceptable behaviour and, with a feeling of empowerment, decided to actually knife someone, or set fire to a dwelling because of the colour of their skin or any other characteristic?

What if someone of colour, or gay, or any other characteristic that some may object to, lashed out in perceived self-defence as a result of the kind of paranoia that this sort of incident can generate?
Yes!

And there is the further point that people of a mind-set that tells them there is nothing wrong in driving a knife between someone's shoulder blades simply because they don't like the colour of their skin might be the type, also, to trivialise and mock a tragedy such as the Grenfile Tower blaze.

honestbroker1

Post by honestbroker1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:36 pm

This is the article, by Alison Pearson in the Telegraph:
Finally, the Prime Minister takes a stand. She declares on Twitter that a video showing an effigy of Grenfell Tower being burnt, while Guy Fawkes revellers laughed and joked, was “despicable” and “utterly unacceptable”. I may have missed it, but did you hear Theresa May make a similar statement yesterday after the fifth young man in a week was stabbed to death in London? That’s six days, five new murder investigations. At least no black youths were stopped and searched for knives. That really would have been unacceptable.

Meanwhile, the Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said that it could take up to ten years to “make significant progress” in stemming the tide of knife crime. Seriously? At the present rate of attrition, that’s another thousand mutilated young corpses in the morgue. But don’t worry about that, folks. Look over here! See how quickly five men have surrendered and been arrested on suspicion of a public order offence and are being investigated for hate crime for setting light to that Grenfell effigy.

Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy, who is leading the investigation into the Grenfell tragedy (that’s the actual tower block not the Guy Fawkes cardboard cut-out), said he was “frankly appalled by the callous nature of the video… To mock that disaster in such a crude way is vile.”

Yes, it is vile. And tasteless and creepy and the morally-inert louts who did it would not be ideal suitors for your darling daughter, that’s for sure. They may very well be racist too; the paper figures screaming from the windows of their home-made tower appear to be brown. Truly repugnant, we can all agree. But since when was Being A Really Unpleasant Person a crime? When did sick jokes made in a back garden constitute a “public order offence” or take up valuable police time while real flesh-and-blood victims are being scythed down in broad daylight on our streets?

If you apply the same standards of conduct, what are the police going to do about the people who threw Boris Johnson on their bonfire? A giant effigy of our former foreign secretary holding the severed head of Theresa May (don’t get any ideas, Marjorie), was paraded through the streets of Lewes, East Sussex. As it passed, people booed and yelled, “Burn him!” Will they be charged with a hate crime, do you suppose?

Carana

Post by Carana » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:08 pm

"When did sick jokes made in a back garden constitute a “public order offence” or take up valuable police time while real flesh-and-blood victims are being scythed down in broad daylight on our streets?"

When adults devalue human life and mock those who died in horrific circumstances, how are kids supposed to integrate basic values of decency? Actually sticking a knife into someone and watch them writhe in pain is only one step further than what they're seeing adults do.

catkins

Post by catkins » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Carana wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:08 pm
"When did sick jokes made in a back garden constitute a “public order offence” or take up valuable police time while real flesh-and-blood victims are being scythed down in broad daylight on our streets?"

When adults devalue human life and mock those who died in horrific circumstances, how are kids supposed to integrate basic values of decency? Actually sticking a knife into someone and watch them writhe in pain is only one step further than what they're seeing adults do.
An offence or not....it sickens me to think that the types who thought it was funny....walk amongst us :s_omg :sick:
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p