Martin Brunt

sal

Martin Brunt

Post by sal » Tue May 02, 2017 2:19 pm

Hael

Re: Martin Brunt

Post by Hael » Tue May 02, 2017 3:05 pm

McCanns 'fell out' with police over search for Madeleine
A Home Office report details the "turbulent relationship" between the McCanns and Portuguese and British law enforcement.

By Martin Brunt, Crime Correspondent

The parents of Madeleine McCann claimed they were treated badly by Portuguese police from the start of the investigation into her disappearance, according to a secret Home Office report.

They eventually fell out with UK authorities too and later did not share with police information gathered by their own private investigators.

The revelations are contained in a report ordered by the then Home Secretary Alan Johnson who wanted to know if it was worth getting Scotland Yard involved after Portuguese officers closed their first investigation.

The report said: "It is clear that from the beginning the McCanns felt there was a lack of clarity and communication on the part of the Portuguese police.

"Despite the involvement of British consular staff, they were, by their own accounts, left for long periods without any updates or communication with the investigators.

"They state they were taken to the police station on more than one occasion and then left for hours waiting to speak to someone who never materialised.

"They describe this situation as inhumane, with no real consideration for their emotional and physical wellbeing."

The report, written by the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre, also said too many UK law enforcement agencies had rushed to help and caused chaos, and that frequent criticism of the Portuguese investigation led to accusations the UK was acting like "a colonial power".

The report said: "Clearly, the McCanns have had a turbulent relationship with both Portuguese and UK law enforcement. They now openly acknowledge that there is a distinct lack of trust between all parties."

Even before the end of the first Portuguese investigation, Kate and Gerry McCann used money collected by their Madeleine Fund to hire private investigators. They continued to use them for the three years before Scotland Yard got involved.

The report said: "It is clear that the McCanns and the private investigators working on their behalf have gathered a large amount of information during the course of their enquiries. This information does not appear to have been shared fully with the Leicestershire constabulary or the Portuguese authorities.

"It is imperative that they are encouraged and persuaded to share this information."

The report led to Scotland Yard launching a review and later its own investigation in 2011.

It recommended the setting up of a UK national centre for missing children to better coordinate the response when British children go missing abroad. That has never happened.

Mr Johnson supported the report's recommendation, but was voted out of office in the 2010 General Election.

He said: "Nothing's happened in the ensuing 10 years that suggests that if it happened again it would be an any better, more coordinated response."

:: Watch the documentary Searching For Madeleine on Sky 1 on Tuesday, 2 May at 10pm, and on Sky News on Wednesday, 3 May at 8pm.
http://news.sky.com/story/mccanns-fell- ... e-10859915

Well there is another theory debunked. This nonsense about the UK police and government covering up for the McCann's. The UK police couldn't have been covering for the McCann's if they had a bad relationship with them.
The trolls funding a shamed coppers right to lie about Kate and Gerry McCann are a new level of weirdo.[omitted] they may have destroyed all hope for good.Talking up conspiracy theories is one thing.Wrecking the search for an abducted child is another.-The Sun

catkins

Post by catkins » Tue May 02, 2017 3:07 pm

sal wrote:My 10 years looking for Madeleine

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking ... ated-life/
My ten years of looking for Madeleine: how the McCann case has dominated my life

By Martin Brunt, Sky News Crime Correspondent
2 May 2017 • 11:14am

I know so much about the story of Madeleine McCann, the heartbreakingly little girl who vanished into thin air.

In the ten years since she disappeared I’ve spoken to her parents, their friends, the heads of Scotland Yard and the Portuguese police, private investigators, Government ministers and diplomats, witnesses and suspects, the family’s supporters and their trolls.

“I’ve been back to Praia da Luz 20 times or more and have struck up friendships. They don’t like why I’m there. I don’t think there’s a word for the look on their faces”

In the resort where she went missing I’ve chatted for many hours with residents, expats, taxi drivers, waiters and bar owners. A lot of bar owners.

But what do I really know? What do I know about the only thing that matters, what happened to three-year-old Madeleine after her parents left her and her two-year-old twin siblings S*** and A***** sleeping in their rented holiday apartment in Praia da Luz on a breezy, late Spring night 10 years ago on Wednesday?

The answer, of course, is nothing. There are theories galore and wild speculation, but for all the time and money spent by police, journalists and armchair detectives, nobody has unearthed the slightest proof to explain her fate. For crime reporters, as an unsolved case it stands alone.

There have been two Portuguese police investigations and Scotland Yard has spent more than £11 million since it began its own inquiry in 2011. In six years the British detectives identified 600 ‘potentially significant’ individuals, all of whom have been ruled out. They have one significant line of enquiry which may or may not provide an answer.

And that’s why I’m sitting here in an editing room, more baffled and fascinated by the story than I was 10 years ago, putting the final touches to a TV documentary that hopes to shed some light, at least on what’s happened since.

‘Madeleine.’ That’s all I have to say to colleagues, friends or family who ask me what I’m working on. I don’t even have to say her surname for them to understand what’s keeping me busy. By her first name, she is so well known as the little girl at the heart of an enduring mystery.

I’ve been back to Praia da Luz 20 times or more and have struck up friendships with several people. They greet me warmly enough, but they don’t like why I’m there. I don’t think there’s a word for the look on their faces, a mixture of smile and scowl.

In the the absence of facts there’s a vacuum filled by speculation and opinion, more often than not tinged with a lack of sympathy for her parents. That is especially true in Portugal, where I’ve seldom met anyone who cannot get over the hurdle of Kate and Gerry McCann leaving their three asleep while they dined with friends across the holiday complex. Kate McCann has described tomorrow’s anniversary as ‘a horrible marker of time, stolen time’.

Nobody can beat up the parents for leaving the children more than the couple do themselves. Long ago they acknowledged they made a mistake, one they have to wake up to each morning.

Yet, the level of hostility the McCann family continues to attract, mainly on on social media, is dreadful - heaping more misery on their blighted lives. A recent posting on a Facebook page which is devoted to the theory that Madeleine’s body is buried in Praia da Luz carried an apparent photograph of her brother S***, attributing to him a ‘comment’ in which he criticises his parents.

One of those behind the posting told me he had contacted Sean’s school in a bizarre attempt to enlist its help in a campaign to retrieve Madeleine’s body. I knew Scotland Yard was aware of the activity, but they appeared to have done nothing about it. I was told it was something they did not want to discuss with me.

Two months ago someone posted an apparent photograph of the family having lunch in a restaurant. While they were still eating, the picture was put on Twitter, followed by a map and directions to the restaurant along with many vile comments such as ‘Are the kids with them or are they also home alone?’ And ‘Shame they didn’t choke.’ One poster suggested spitting in their food, another wanted to pour beer over them.

The poster of Medeleine McCann that appeared on newspaper frontpages everywhere Credit: EPA

As far as I know, none of the McCanns has ever been physically attacked, but I’ve learned as well as anyone the human impact social media activity can have.

Three years ago Leicestershire police were sent a dossier of the online anti-McCann hostility, which included death threats. After six months they decided to take no action against anyone.

I confronted one of the McCann critics, Brenda Leyland, a woman who had Tweeted many nasty comments. She invited me into her home for a chat, though she didn’t want to be interviewed formally. Four days later she took her own life.

In an interview for our documentary the former Home Secretary Alan Johnson said he couldn’t understand why police refused to investigate the McCann trolls.

The former head of the Child Exploitation and Online Protection centre (CEOP), Jim Gamble, described the thousands of online attacks as “a legacy of bile” that would always be there on the Internet to confront Madeleine’s younger twin brother and sister.

We reveal in the documentary details of a secret report Mr Johnson commissioned from CEOP in 2009 to explore the possibility of Scotland Yard getting involved. It led to the Metropolitan Police reviewing the case in 2011 and then launching their own full investigation two years later.

The document exposes the early failures of the first Portuguese investigation and the chaos added by many British agencies competing to help. They included the Association of Chief Police Officers, the National Policing Improvement Agency, the Serious Organised Crime Agency, the Crown Prosecution Service and others. It led to the Portuguese authorities accusing Britain of acting like “a colonial power.”

In turn, says the leaked report, it lead to growing distrust between the McCanns and both Portuguese and UK police. So much so, that when the McCanns later hired a series of private investigators, the couple refused to share the information that was gathered with either force.

We’ve also spoken to former detective Colin Sutton, who was in the running to head the Scotland Yard investigation before he retired. He says that a senior officer rang and warned him that if he took on the case he would not be able to do everything he wished. He interpreted that as a ban on any formal interview with the McCanns.

Mr Sutton says that if Scotland Yard really did intend to “re-analyse and re-assess everything, accept nothing”, as Det Chief Insp Andy Redwood told BBC Crimewatch in 2013, it should have interviewed the McCanns under caution at the start, if only to rule them out. Mr Sutton says that from the beginning they did accept something, the abduction theory.

The Metropolitan Police has confirmed it didn’t formally interview the McCanns because it was satisfied the couple had been ruled out by the initial Portuguese investigation.

Without that interview, says Mr Sutton, the Scotland Yard inquiry was flawed from the start and so the McCanns have still not had the “proper” investigation Alan Johnson promised them.

“The growing distrust between the McCanns and police was so bad that when the McCanns later hired private investigators, they refused to share the information gathered”

The 10th anniversary has been an excuse for me to contact my fellow hacks who spent many weeks in Praia da Luz in the summer of 2007 to see if they have learned anything more than me.

So far, despite recent headlines about breakthroughs and new leads, they haven’t. Over the years we have all tried very hard to beat each other to exclusives, sometimes going to extraordinary lengths. I remember turning up one January to discover that three of my rivals had spent Christmas in Praia da Luz and shared a lonely festive lunch in the dimly-lit Fortaleza restaurant with the sound of freezing waves crashing on the rocks below.

It was a reminder that Madeleine’s disappearance has played such a big part in our lives and, as long as it remained a mystery, we couldn’t let it go.

There’s talk of a reporters’ reunion, but that would hardly be appropriate. Now, Madeleine’s safe return, wouldn’t that be a cause for celebration for us all?

Searching For Madeleine is on Sky 1 on Tuesday, 2 May at 10pm, and on Sky News on Wednesday, 3 May at 8pm
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p

catkins

Post by catkins » Tue May 02, 2017 3:07 pm

SNAP !
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.

Rob1

Post by Rob1 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:03 pm

This is the retired detective who has been all over the news recently, changing his opinions frequently depending on who he talks with?
We’ve also spoken to former detective Colin Sutton, who was in the running to head the Scotland Yard investigation before he retired. He says that a senior officer rang and warned him that if he took on the case he would not be able to do everything he wished. He interpreted that as a ban on any formal interview with the McCanns.
So he 'interprets'? Yes, he 'interprets' predictable difficulties of investigation as being with K+G rather than the Portuguese police with their record of obstruction and even corruption.
Sadly, I have not changed my opinion that this man is a rather silly character. I think it is a good thing he did not get the job.
Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. Thich Nhat Hanh

scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo » Tue May 02, 2017 4:26 pm

Rob1 wrote:This is the retired detective who has been all over the news recently, changing his opinions frequently depending on who he talks with?
So he 'interprets'? Yes, he 'interprets' predictable difficulties of investigation as being with K+G rather than the Portuguese police with their record of obstruction and even corruption.
Sadly, I have not changed my opinion that this man is a rather silly character. I think it is a good thing he did not get the job.

Exactly they were looking at something that happened in another country and could not just go and conduct searches or interview people in Portugal. He had no reason to believe it was about not interviewing the McCanns. He comes across as desperate to get a career going as a crime commentator. The UK police spent two years reviewing the Portuguese work and on that basis they could rule out some people and scenarios and not rule out others. They could not realistically re interview every single potential witness as most of them were in other countries anyway.

catkins

Post by catkins » Tue May 02, 2017 4:33 pm

The fact that he involves himself with Tony Bennett and the other fruit loops on the cesspit tells me all I need to know about him.

Rob1

Post by Rob1 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:41 pm

catkins wrote:The fact that he involves himself with Tony Bennett and the other fruit loops on the cesspit tells me all I need to know about him.
:s_thumbsup
Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. Thich Nhat Hanh

Rob1

Post by Rob1 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:43 pm

Rob1 wrote:
catkins wrote:The fact that he involves himself with Tony Bennett and the other fruit loops on the cesspit tells me all I need to know about him.
:s_thumbsup
Yes, he joins a group of conspiracy theorists to discuss this case. Chemtrails and 'false flag' society. I am glad he did not get the job as senior of this very sensitive case.

Rob1

Post by Rob1 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:10 pm

scoobydoo wrote:
Rob1 wrote:This is the retired detective who has been all over the news recently, changing his opinions frequently depending on who he talks with?

Exactly they were looking at something that happened in another country and could not just go and conduct searches or interview people in Portugal. He had no reason to believe it was about not interviewing the McCanns. He comes across as desperate to get a career going as a crime commentator. The UK police spent two years reviewing the Portuguese work and on that basis they could rule out some people and scenarios and not rule out others. They could not realistically re interview every single potential witness as most of them were in other countries anyway.
It is a shame that he makes these comments which directly undermine the integrity and hard work of his colleagues. Perhaps he will claim again that he has been 'misrepresented'? He says this for several of his other interviews, when he is criticized.

Winter

Post by Winter » Tue May 02, 2017 5:44 pm

Just thinking that myself Catkins. Wasn't he a member on Bennett's forum? Now why would someone like him be a member on that forum? Dear God it's the pits and he should have more sense in his position.
"there is a big difference between a few sordid insults, and publicly accusing someone of committing a serious crime - which is a crime in itself" AnnaEsse (Oh the irony!)

catkins

Post by catkins » Tue May 02, 2017 6:56 pm

Winter wrote:
Just thinking that myself Catkins. Wasn't he a member on Bennett's forum? Now why would someone like him be a member on that forum? Dear God it's the pits and he should have more sense in his position.
Exactly Winter..!......One would think that a person with his experience would have had more sense than to get mixed up with a bunch of fruitloops and a convicted man like Bennett.

catkins

Post by catkins » Tue May 02, 2017 6:57 pm

Rob1 wrote:
scoobydoo wrote:

It is a shame that he makes these comments which directly undermine the integrity and hard work of his colleagues. Perhaps he will claim again that he has been 'misrepresented'? He says this for several of his other interviews, when he is criticized.

I've noticed that Rob.

scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo » Tue May 02, 2017 7:18 pm

He has tweeted that the public expectation of grange was to reinvestigate not validate one hypothesis. But he is misrepresenting what grange have done.

They spent two years reviewing all the evidence and created a reconstruction so not a passive review. After the review was over they announced that they had been able to dismiss the McCanns and their holiday companions as suspects, that Madeleine disappeared due to a criminal act by a stranger, and that they had identified several investigative avenues that warranted them opening up an actual investigation of their own.

Exactly where does this say that operation grange worked only to validate one hypothesis or reinvestigate everything the Portuguese had done? They do not have the right to go onto Portuguese soil and just start an investigation from scratch.

Given his desperation to be a criminal commentator I am beginning to see why he was not chosen to work on the Madeleine McCann case. He would have dined out on that for years. I bet Andy redwood has been offered heaps to comment, but he is not there tweeting away is he?

As for Brenda Leyland, she was not hounded. She repeatedly tweeted brunt demanding to speak, her name was available for anyone to see, he went to her house and asked to interview her, he did not chase her, hurl abuse etc. She invited him inside. The TV segment was short, albeit repeated, did not give out her name, and seriously toned down what she had actually been saying. It drew attention to what she had been tweeting in the public domain via an account connected to her name. She was humiliated because people in her real life knew what she had done no doubt. Her son also looked at her account and reported being shocked by the contents and the fact that she had said she was a male living in Los Angeles (where he lived) and used his dog as her profile picture i.e made it not unlikely he could be blamed for the account. I bet he, reasonable, had a few choice words to say to her. She was already divorced, estranged from her other son and his family, had problems with neighbours and friendships etc. Exactly the type i expect to be a middle class anti. Why do the antis always demand to be heard then screech blue murder when people like brunt make them heard?

Alibongo

Post by Alibongo » Tue May 02, 2017 7:38 pm

Absolutely spot on Scooby!
Parent-blaming is all-too-common these days, and usually the point is to make other parents feel better about their own parenting skills

blossom

Post by blossom » Tue May 02, 2017 8:02 pm

scoobydoo wrote:He has tweeted that the public expectation of grange was to reinvestigate not validate one hypothesis. But he is misrepresenting what grange have done.

They spent two years reviewing all the evidence and created a reconstruction so not a passive review. After the review was over they announced that they had been able to dismiss the McCanns and their holiday companions as suspects, that Madeleine disappeared due to a criminal act by a stranger, and that they had identified several investigative avenues that warranted them opening up an actual investigation of their own.

Exactly where does this say that operation grange worked only to validate one hypothesis or reinvestigate everything the Portuguese had done? They do not have the right to go onto Portuguese soil and just start an investigation from scratch.

Given his desperation to be a criminal commentator I am beginning to see why he was not chosen to work on the Madeleine McCann case. He would have dined out on that for years. I bet Andy redwood has been offered heaps to comment, but he is not there tweeting away is he?

As for Brenda Leyland, she was not hounded. She repeatedly tweeted brunt demanding to speak, her name was available for anyone to see, he went to her house and asked to interview her, he did not chase her, hurl abuse etc. She invited him inside. The TV segment was short, albeit repeated, did not give out her name, and seriously toned down what she had actually been saying. It drew attention to what she had been tweeting in the public domain via an account connected to her name. She was humiliated because people in her real life knew what she had done no doubt. Her son also looked at her account and reported being shocked by the contents and the fact that she had said she was a male living in Los Angeles (where he lived) and used his dog as her profile picture i.e made it not unlikely he could be blamed for the account. I bet he, reasonable, had a few choice words to say to her. She was already divorced, estranged from her other son and his family, had problems with neighbours and friendships etc. Exactly the type i expect to be a middle class anti. Why do the antis always demand to be heard then screech blue murder when people like brunt make them heard?
I couldn't agree more Scooby! :s_thumbsup

catkins

Post by catkins » Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 pm

scoobydoo wrote:He has tweeted that the public expectation of grange was to reinvestigate not validate one hypothesis. But he is misrepresenting what grange have done.

Spot on Scooby...

catkins

Post by catkins » Tue May 02, 2017 9:22 pm

Hmmmmm thanks to MOJ forum and Alfie & Misty.. More info here >> http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.ph ... =5764.2805

Re: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)

« Reply #2799 on: Today at 06:34:57 PM »

Quote from: Alfie on Today at 06:24:06 PM

If that's the case then why is he somewhat vague in his assessment of the situation? Moreover why if he was considered for the job of heading up OG did he not actually get the job? &%+((£

He retired from the Met in Jan 2011.
http://www.colinsutton.com/cv.pdf

The review process did not start until May 2011.

« Last Edit: Today at 06:37:03 PM by misty »

catkins

Post by catkins » Tue May 02, 2017 9:37 pm

Brunt's "Searching for Madeleine".....on Sky1 at 10pm tonight.

scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo » Wed May 03, 2017 12:29 am

So Colin Sutton was never asked to work on the Madeleine McCann case, and never did work on it, and retired before the police even began reviewing the material. Yet he knows that the investigation was only interested in validating the abduction theory. This is despite the police specifically saying that it was by looking at evidence collected by Portuguese police they could rule the McCanns out so they actively looked at the parents. What did he think they should do jack boot all over Portugal? Scotland yard looked at the evidence and ruled the parents out, Portugal looked at the parents and ruled them out.

Talk about desperate for attention.

Rob1

Post by Rob1 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:40 am

scoobydoo wrote:So Colin Sutton was never asked to work on the Madeleine McCann case, and never did work on it, and retired before the police even began reviewing the material. Yet he knows that the investigation was only interested in validating the abduction theory. This is despite the police specifically saying that it was by looking at evidence collected by Portuguese police they could rule the McCanns out so they actively looked at the parents. What did he think they should do jack boot all over Portugal? Scotland yard looked at the evidence and ruled the parents out, Portugal looked at the parents and ruled them out.

This indecisive man is the new messiah for trolls and conspiracy theorists.
Today's newspaper>
Detective refused to head up Madeleine McCann probe because 'Scotland Yard would order him to prove Kate and Gerry were innocent and ignore other leads'
Yet on twitter he says >>
Miss Vivien‏ @vivienmiss 12h12 hours ago
More
@colinsutton Is it true that you was asked to lead the #McCann investigation before you retired? Thanks.
2 replies 1 retweet 3 likes
Reply 2 Retweet 1
Like 3

Colin Sutton‏
@colinsutton

Follow
More
Replying to @vivienmiss
Not exactly. A newspaper ran a story that I was to be asked but I never was - I had retired by the time Op Grange was started.
WinkarenGene HuntAllana FitzMiss Vivien
11:12 AM - 2 May 2017
3 replies 0 retweets 5 likes
Reply 3 Retweet
Like 5
Every interview I have read, he tells a different story and three times has claimed he was 'misrepresented' (and he joined Tony Bennett's forum).
The worst thing is the abuse of his former colleagues' integrity. It seems from his account as if the officers who worked on Operation Grange were accepting of a dishonest investigation.

sal

Post by sal » Wed May 03, 2017 8:06 am

http://www.crimeandinvestigation.co.uk/ ... lin-sutton

Are there any unsolved cases across the world that you would be interested in tackling?

Not now, I am too happy being retired! But had the Madeline McCann review come my way before retirement I would have stayed to complete that; it is the greatest mystery of our generation, and despite its obvious difficulty I would have been unable to resist the opportunity to try to help solve it.

Hael

Post by Hael » Wed May 03, 2017 8:47 am

Rob1 wrote:
scoobydoo wrote:So Colin Sutton was never asked to work on the Madeleine McCann case, and never did work on it, and retired before the police even began reviewing the material. Yet he knows that the investigation was only interested in validating the abduction theory. This is despite the police specifically saying that it was by looking at evidence collected by Portuguese police they could rule the McCanns out so they actively looked at the parents. What did he think they should do jack boot all over Portugal? Scotland yard looked at the evidence and ruled the parents out, Portugal looked at the parents and ruled them out.

This indecisive man is the new messiah for trolls and conspiracy theorists.
Today's newspaper>
Detective refused to head up Madeleine McCann probe because 'Scotland Yard would order him to prove Kate and Gerry were innocent and ignore other leads'
Yet on twitter he says >>
Miss Vivien‏ @vivienmiss 12h12 hours ago
More
@colinsutton Is it true that you was asked to lead the #McCann investigation before you retired? Thanks.
2 replies 1 retweet 3 likes
Reply 2 Retweet 1
Like 3

Colin Sutton‏
@colinsutton

Follow
More
Replying to @vivienmiss
Not exactly. A newspaper ran a story that I was to be asked but I never was - I had retired by the time Op Grange was started.
WinkarenGene HuntAllana FitzMiss Vivien
11:12 AM - 2 May 2017
3 replies 0 retweets 5 likes
Reply 3 Retweet
Like 5
Every interview I have read, he tells a different story and three times has claimed he was 'misrepresented' (and he joined Tony Bennett's forum).
The worst thing is the abuse of his former colleagues' integrity. It seems from his account as if the officers who worked on Operation Grange were accepting of a dishonest investigation.
The only reason why the anti-McCann haters are loving Colin Sutton (does he know how quickly they turn on their own!?) is because he keeps insisting that the parents should be formally questioned. None of them have the brains to think further than that. Colin spoke to Martin Brunt about the huge waste of money in this investigation, but insists they waste more! by questioning the parents. It's quite clear that IF they were questioned, the focus of the investigation would not change. Not because the SY remit apparently only looks at an abduction, but because the parents are not the criminals here.
The trolls funding a shamed coppers right to lie about Kate and Gerry McCann are a new level of weirdo.[omitted] they may have destroyed all hope for good.Talking up conspiracy theories is one thing.Wrecking the search for an abducted child is another.-The Sun

sal

Post by sal » Wed May 03, 2017 9:11 am

sky
What happened to missing Madeleine McCann on the night of her disappearance?

The first senior detective on the case, Goncalo Amaral, believes Madeleine died in the family's rented holiday apartment and that her parents covered up her death and disposed of her body.

The suspicion appeared to be supported when British sniffer dogs - trained to detect body scent and blood - reacted in the apartment and also a car which was hired three months after Madeleine disappeared.

Misinterpretation by Portuguese investigators of the results of forensic swabs taken from the apartment and car led to Kate and Gerry McCann being questioned and made official suspects, or 'arguidos'.

The couple were ruled out when the Portuguese case was closed, unsolved, after 15 months. They have always denied any part in their daughter's disappearance and two Portuguese investigations and a Scotland Yard inquiry have found no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Would two doctors, trained to preserve life, choose not to raise the alarm, but instead dispose of their daughter's body, and have the means to do so without a car and in a foreign country, before joining friends for dinner as though nothing had happened?

And keep such a secret for years while drawing global attention to themselves and their campaign to find Madeleine?

Below you can read some of the other theories, or return to Martin Brunt's account of the little girl whose disappearance has baffled the world.

catkins

Post by catkins » Wed May 03, 2017 9:35 am

Why does Sutton think that the McCanns were made arguidos? (wrongly......) Of course they gave statements and were questioned right at the start.

Why did he repeat that they should have been interviewed at the very start by PT and then Redwood.

Does he think the PJ & the Met decided they were NOT suspects by not interviewing/talking to them?

It beggars belief that he has supposedly much "experience" yet makes statements like that.....worse still he associates with the likes of Bennett and PeterMac.....I'm not sure I can take anything he states seriously.

And I notice MB didn't mention his unwitting part in the early days.... over the false 100% DNA match claim. :rolleyes: