Morais translation

sal

Morais translation

Post by sal » Mon May 01, 2017 4:28 pm

Gonçalo Amaral: "There was far too much diplomacy"
by Joana Morais 6 hrs ago

The former inspector affirms the Judiciary Police worked hand in hand with the Scotland Yard and that there was servility from the Prosecutor's Office and Portuguese Government towards the British

"There was far too much diplomacy"

by Fernanda Cachão & Mónica Palma

Outside the judicial process, Gonçalo Amaral says the McCanns took away the chances of him having a professional life.

Is there a political assessment to be made?

There is, yes, and a very significant one. Notice that I have never returned to the Judiciary Police but the couple has already been there. The PJ direction and even the prosecutor are doing what is considered politically correct. In the United Kingdom and here the direction of the police worked hand in hand with the Scotland Yard, they would not investigate anything that could compromise the parents or the friends. That is a mistake. Besides, there may have been parallel channels of investigation, even because it's not normal for an ambassador of a foreign country to come over to the site of an investigation and pressure for a quick solution. Following that meeting, the PJ director read a statement saying that we were looking for an abductor, something that neither I nor others agreed. If the ambassador, or the consul for that matter, hadn't show up the investigation would have been directed to its standard procedure, which is to suspect those who are responsible for the safekeeping of the child. There was far too much diplomacy.

As the coordinator couldn't you have said something?

Other colleagues and I said what we had to say. We were told that was the path we had to follow and that we would later return to the other.

By whom?

By who was my superior at the time.

But how is it possible for an ambassador's visit to intimidate or direct the investigation in that way?

By the servility we have before the English. The Judiciary, Prosecutor's Office and government felt intimidated by the UK. The misstep was the statement talking about an abduction.

Did Madeleine's parents have a special treatment?

In what I call my naivety, I'll stick by the fact that they belong to a British upper middle class and that they don't like their doctors to make a mess abroad and be condemned for it.

Gonçalo Amaral in Praia da Luz in early April
Photo: Bruno Colaço/Correio da Manhã

Ten years later what is the self-criticism that you do?

I should not have retired from the PJ. I should have stayed instead - since the police directorate did not defend me nor my colleagues from the injuries targeting us - and written the book as a PJ employee. I should not have allowed us to be the target of so many pressures. When the couple went away, the British police that were here cooperating with us also left. We were left with the feeling that they had been here only to protect the couple. We were overly sincere and then we got our pay back. For example, we sent the forensic evidence to be tested in the English laboratory, when that analysis could have been done in a Portuguese one, so we wouldn't be accused that we had manipulated the final results. We were naive and too diplomatic.

Is this case of particular anguish for you?

Not the case itself. Not even the legal action brought against me. The anguish was what they did to me outside the case. The intrusion on my personal life, the destabilization of the person, the attacks, the insults and taking away all the chances of having a professional activity as I wished to have. This was forbidden for me. This didn't happen only within the legal action, there were plenty schemes being played outside that.

Is your back turned to the previous direction of PJ?

No, I'm making a criticism and I have that right. You do not get rid of a senior police officer to defend a couple suspected at the very least of child neglect, which led to the disappearance. It was almost a lack of respect to make the decision that it was an abduction and make it public. That was not looking at the investigation objectively. If this investigation ever comes to an end and if it proves that the parents have nothing to do with the case, that's fine.

in Sábado magazine, n.678 edition, extract of a six-pages spread article titled "The return of the inspector to the scene of the crime", published on April 27, 2017

sal

Re: Morais translation

Post by sal » Mon May 01, 2017 4:42 pm

More self pity whining tonight..

A decade later, Gonçalo Amaral returns to the scene of the crime. The first inspector in charge of the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann returns to Praia da Luz, Ocean Club, apartment 5-A and launches clues that can help unravel the mystery of Maddie's disappearance. In an exclusive interview with CMTV, the former coordinator of the Judiciary Police reveals all the signs, all contradictions, of an investigation that was interrupted in the sixth month of work. In the great report Maddie - The Enigma, Gonçalo Amaral, speaks openly about the political pressures that his team was targeted in 2007. Not to be missed this Monday night at CMTV.

Ler mais em: http://www.cmjornal.pt/portugal/detalhe ... l_destaque

sal

Post by sal » Mon May 01, 2017 5:07 pm

and 5 years ago...

As you well know, the Prime Minister David Cameron, has ordered a re-evaluation of the investigation in England regarding Maddie’s disappearance. How do you assess that decision, admitting that the English will hardly have access to the investigation in Portugal?

The decision of that Prime Minister has been twisted. The McCann couple has spoken of a re-examination of the child’s “sightings”. When, in fact, what is known is that Scotland Yard, who were appointed to re-evaluate the whole investigation, has set aside the pseudo-sightings, focusing instead on the investigation process that remains archived. Elements from the Scotland Yard have been working with an investigative [Judiciary Police] team from Oporto (Oporto because Algarve and Lisbon have already been involved), and what is known is that the “affair” is not going well for the McCanns.

The Maddie case, one can say (it’s not a secret) that, it disrupted your career in the Judiciary Police. What sorrows do you have concerning that?

I do not agree with that! The “Maddie” case happened at a stage of my life when I was already tired of saying “yes”. Just and only that.

Where you naïve?

Not at all. I left the Judiciary Police by my own initiative and with my head held high, I worked in there for almost thirty years and I had a successful career with an immaculate track record. Let the detractors attempt to denigrate my career, because, we will soon talk.

Hael

Post by Hael » Mon May 01, 2017 5:22 pm

sal wrote:and 5 years ago...

As you well know, the Prime Minister David Cameron, has ordered a re-evaluation of the investigation in England regarding Maddie’s disappearance. How do you assess that decision, admitting that the English will hardly have access to the investigation in Portugal?

The decision of that Prime Minister has been twisted. The McCann couple has spoken of a re-examination of the child’s “sightings”. When, in fact, what is known is that Scotland Yard, who were appointed to re-evaluate the whole investigation, has set aside the pseudo-sightings, focusing instead on the investigation process that remains archived. Elements from the Scotland Yard have been working with an investigative [Judiciary Police] team from Oporto (Oporto because Algarve and Lisbon have already been involved), and what is known is that the “affair” is not going well for the McCanns.

The Maddie case, one can say (it’s not a secret) that, it disrupted your career in the Judiciary Police. What sorrows do you have concerning that?

I do not agree with that! The “Maddie” case happened at a stage of my life when I was already tired of saying “yes”. Just and only that.

Where you naïve?

Not at all. I left the Judiciary Police by my own initiative and with my head held high, I worked in there for almost thirty years and I had a successful career with an immaculate track record. Let the detractors attempt to denigrate my career, because, we will soon talk.
"immaculate track record".... he must have forgotten he has a criminal conviction (obtained in the line of duty).
The trolls funding a shamed coppers right to lie about Kate and Gerry McCann are a new level of weirdo.[omitted] they may have destroyed all hope for good.Talking up conspiracy theories is one thing.Wrecking the search for an abducted child is another.-The Sun

Missfit

Post by Missfit » Mon May 01, 2017 5:46 pm

Where you naïve?

Is it true that no one was there to wave him off? If so it seems odd if as he claims he had a successful career :s_scratchhead

Missfit

Post by Missfit » Mon May 01, 2017 5:47 pm

sal wrote:Gonçalo Amaral: "There was far too much diplomacy"
by Joana Morais 6 hrs ago

The former inspector affirms the Judiciary Police worked hand in hand with the Scotland Yard and that there was servility from the Prosecutor's Office and Portuguese Government towards the British

"There was far too much diplomacy"

by Fernanda Cachão & Mónica Palma

Outside the judicial process, Gonçalo Amaral says the McCanns took away the chances of him having a professional life.

Is there a political assessment to be made?

There is, yes, and a very significant one. Notice that I have never returned to the Judiciary Police but the couple has already been there. The PJ direction and even the prosecutor are doing what is considered politically correct. In the United Kingdom and here the direction of the police worked hand in hand with the Scotland Yard, they would not investigate anything that could compromise the parents or the friends. That is a mistake. Besides, there may have been parallel channels of investigation, even because it's not normal for an ambassador of a foreign country to come over to the site of an investigation and pressure for a quick solution. Following that meeting, the PJ director read a statement saying that we were looking for an abductor, something that neither I nor others agreed. If the ambassador, or the consul for that matter, hadn't show up the investigation would have been directed to its standard procedure, which is to suspect those who are responsible for the safekeeping of the child. There was far too much diplomacy.

As the coordinator couldn't you have said something?

Other colleagues and I said what we had to say. We were told that was the path we had to follow and that we would later return to the other.

By whom?

By who was my superior at the time.

But how is it possible for an ambassador's visit to intimidate or direct the investigation in that way?

By the servility we have before the English. The Judiciary, Prosecutor's Office and government felt intimidated by the UK. The misstep was the statement talking about an abduction.

Did Madeleine's parents have a special treatment?

In what I call my naivety, I'll stick by the fact that they belong to a British upper middle class and that they don't like their doctors to make a mess abroad and be condemned for it.

Gonçalo Amaral in Praia da Luz in early April
Photo: Bruno Colaço/Correio da Manhã

Ten years later what is the self-criticism that you do?

I should not have retired from the PJ. I should have stayed instead - since the police directorate did not defend me nor my colleagues from the injuries targeting us - and written the book as a PJ employee. I should not have allowed us to be the target of so many pressures. When the couple went away, the British police that were here cooperating with us also left. We were left with the feeling that they had been here only to protect the couple. We were overly sincere and then we got our pay back. For example, we sent the forensic evidence to be tested in the English laboratory, when that analysis could have been done in a Portuguese one, so we wouldn't be accused that we had manipulated the final results. We were naive and too diplomatic.

Is this case of particular anguish for you?

Not the case itself. Not even the legal action brought against me. The anguish was what they did to me outside the case. The intrusion on my personal life, the destabilization of the person, the attacks, the insults and taking away all the chances of having a professional activity as I wished to have. This was forbidden for me. This didn't happen only within the legal action, there were plenty schemes being played outside that.

Is your back turned to the previous direction of PJ?

No, I'm making a criticism and I have that right. You do not get rid of a senior police officer to defend a couple suspected at the very least of child neglect, which led to the disappearance. It was almost a lack of respect to make the decision that it was an abduction and make it public. That was not looking at the investigation objectively. If this investigation ever comes to an end and if it proves that the parents have nothing to do with the case, that's fine.

in Sábado magazine, n.678 edition, extract of a six-pages spread article titled "The return of the inspector to the scene of the crime", published on April 27, 2017

Am I correct in thinking that her translations aren't always completely honest? I feel sure I've read that about her.

catkins

Post by catkins » Mon May 01, 2017 7:24 pm

Morais has been known to get it wrong Missfit.
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p

catkins

Post by catkins » Mon May 01, 2017 7:25 pm

Missfit wrote:

Where you naïve?

Is it true that no one was there to wave him off? If so it seems odd if as he claims he had a successful career :s_scratchhead

So it was said Missfit :s_yes
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p